FBI ransomware is a malicious program that infects PC through various vulnerabilities and holes in its security system. It tries to mimic the Federal Bureau of Investigation to trick users into thinking that they have been caught by FBI for illegal use of copyrighted material. It doesn’t only alert users about it, but it actually “locks” the computer and makes it impossible to use. In order to unlock the computer, this ransomware asks to pay a $100 fine through MoneyPak.
Why shouldn't I pay the fine?
Users should be aware that this is only a scam to get their money. FBI will never lock your computer remotely without giving you any notice about some illegal activities it found, which you're doing illegally. If you actually pay the fine, there’s a huge possibility that your computer won’t be unlocked even then, and additionally, it will probably be used for illegal purposes.
How to remove FBI Ransomware?
To remove FBI ransomware from your computer, you will have to unlock it. In order to do that, you will need to use another computer with an internet connection, to download the removal software, and a USB flash drive. Here are the steps:
- Download Combofix and a reputable anti-spyware program like Spyhunter by using some not locked computer with an internet connection
- Upload both of them to your USB flash drive
- Reboot your infected computer and press F8, while it boots.
- Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- Insert the USB drive and launch the combofix
- Reboot the computer
- Run a full system scan with a reputable anti-spyware software like Spyhunter
For more information about FBI ransomware read this article