Last post by Surendra Singh Thakur Sanju in topic Is sex a sin?

Topics: 5298

Film Cameras, Anyone Still Use Them?

Total results: 28
Pages: 1 |  2     [2]

Well here in the digital age seems film cameras have been shelved out in the garage or up in the attic, does anybody still use them today?:dunno:

Once in awhile. Just to get rid of the color film I still have in the fridge. I have been thinking of getting back into my darkroom, so I might get back to the real B&W one day.

Pentacon Six for medium format film, and Yashica FX-3 2000 for 35mm film...
not develop myself yet, but realy enjoy work with manual cameras, and I'm realy happy about results (using diferent films, colour & B&W)...
for quick work using digital camera, but for fine quality only film cameras... :thumbup:

Actually, I am doing B&W photography at the art academy of Louvain at the moment, so most shoots I try to combine digital work with film.

Most shoots I do digital and when the lighting is super and when some really nice composition is found, I also take a film or polaroid shot with my Mamiya R67.

I still have a couple--or four or five--here and there. A reliable Fujica 6X9 wideangle if I'm ever called upon to take a large group picture before they come out with a 30-40 megapixel affordable sensor. Also, my very first Canon F1, kind of like keeping a favorite old pet's ashes on a closet shelf.
If I haven't been there, I'm still planning on going!
If I haven't done it, I've still got time to try!

I use my Nikon F65 all the time.

feels like we are dinosaurs :cantlook:... or maybe anyone is busy :doh:

:D

It hasn't been very long ago I read that Playboy uses medium format film for their covers and digital for the other shots.

Seems that for the absolute best, film still may be the way to go.

Stephanie P.:

It hasn't been very long ago I read that Playboy uses medium format film for their covers and digital for the other shots.

Seems that for the absolute best, film still may be the way to go.

I read it too but I'd need to go through old mags (if I've not thrown them) & see if I can find it:thumbup: I wonder if there's any other magazines do that:dunno:

I got tired of Hefner's idea of plastic women years ago. I don't know about today, but the centerfolds, in film days, were shot with studio cameras of 5x7 , 8x10 or more film formats. Most of the features were shot with 120 film in medium format.

There is no reason they shouldn't be using the latest stuff, there are digital backs for LF cameras that produce beaucoup pixels in files that would be the same as film scans. You can be sure that Photoshop is in play as well.

Call me a wimp, but I use film cameras to photograph severe weather. I would much rather throw away an old Minolta SRT-101 than my Sony. I'm just not willing to destroy a 4,000 dollar camera for the perfect lightening shot in a four inch per hour downpour, when I can buy a film body for 20 bucks at a pawn shop.

Photography by Mark:

Call me a wimp, but I use film cameras to photograph severe weather. I would much rather throw away an old Minolta SRT-101 than my Sony. I'm just not willing to destroy a 4,000 dollar camera for the perfect lightening shot in a four inch per hour downpour, when I can buy a film body for 20 bucks at a pawn shop.

That's why a Canon 1D Mark Whichever costs as much as they do. When the flying debris (water, dirt, crap) pops up while you are on assignment, the equipment is up to the task.

And if you have warning there are raincovers available. BTDT (been there, done that).

I include an unrestricted shot from a miserable cold, rainy Cabbage Patch Wrestling event I covered for a startup magazine.

Oops! Here's the photo I was talking about. I knew it was going to be a bad day and had Kata raincovers for my cameras. They were dry, but I was not.

yes i love to use them.

Charles Griffin:

Oops! Here's the photo I was talking about. I knew it was going to be a bad day and had Kata raincovers for my cameras. They were dry, but I was not.

The size of those girls:cantlook:
If they sat on one of your camera's it would be finished:lol:

@ Charles

I do both, digital and analogue - to be precise the hybrid form of analogue. Not a single digi can produce the quality my Fuji 680 is able to make, ni Nikon, ni Hasselblad ni a medium format with a LF digi back.
The only disadvantage is speed. I cannot do a quick shot coming bak an hour later with the required result. But that is not my goal. I get files of 1,5 - till 2,2 GB per take, depending on the dpi I set the scanner on. Ok, this type of photography is not for everyone, but precisely for the kind of pics in Playboy or the like, or posters of wall paper size. The pictures here in Jurgita are just made with a digi Nikon, nothing special or exciting about that.

Another fact with digi photography is that the pictures lack the deepness and the richness of the film. As usual, there are pro's and contra's.
I prefer my way.....

Charles Griffin:

[Photography by Mark: ...]

That's why a Canon 1D Mark Whichever costs as much as they do. When the flying debris (water, dirt, crap) pops up while you are on assignment, the equipment is up to the task.

And if you have warning there are raincovers available. BTDT (been there, done that).

I include an unrestricted shot from a miserable cold, rainy Cabbage Patch Wrestling event I covered for a startup magazine.

I still use film, but only underwater and mostly only on paid shoots.

But this is not for the quality difference. I actually find more flexibility, a broader range of colors and more detail in distant objects with digital as opposed to film.

It is a fear of losing equipment that keeps me on film. With film, if an O-ring goes, I have lost only the unexposed film in the camera. $20 maximum.

Spring a leak in a digital underwater housing, and Ka-Ploooieee! A voided warranty and several thousand dollars down the drain.

Yet there are now high grade digital cameras specifically designed for underwater use. As soon as I get up the gumption to test out a few of them, it just might be bye-bye to the last of my film use.
:cantlook: Have faith that the universe will unfold as it should :cool:

Gary Young:

[Charles Griffin: ...]
The size of those girls:cantlook:
If they sat on one of your camera's it would be finished:lol:

Oh, yes. The big girls usually win the cole slaw wrestling matches. I was covering the event for a motorcycle magazine, There were several shots that I didn't post and I'm glad because a young lady of about 12 or 13 was just in the thread--things she didn't need to see. There were wild people in the crowd and their antics also were shot, also stunt riders doing jumps and flips in the air (on wet ramps).

But my Canons--no, they would have taken the abuse--but I didn't want one to land on me!

Yes still shoot film. Maxxum 7000, 9000 with speed winder and 100 shot film back, olympus OM1-E and the topcoflex TLR 120 that my grandfather paid 226 pounds sterling for on april 3rd 1955(remember when no one threw out a receipt). The camera he did almost all of his work with. Still have a darkroom in the basement and a film scanner in the computer room.
:thumbup: Cheers :thumbup:

Terence

I take my old film cameras out when I am feeling nostalgic, but for the most part I love my Nikon Digitals, the flexibility and ease of use made me a convert years ago.

Hello Everyone!

JURGITA needs your help. We need moderators and contributors. get more information

Jurgita.com team

Total results: 28
Pages: 1 |  2     [2]

Login
You must login using Your jurgita.com account to get full forum access.
If You do not have a jurgita.com account, please feel free to register.

by NEXT Management NYC
Aug 12, 2014
The Big Easy — Stephanie Joy Field wears in Yves Saint Laurent the pages of the September issue of VOGUE Germany. Visit http://bit.ly/1yrNIPt.
by Supermodels Model Management
Aug 12, 2014
New pictures of Ugne from Next Milan!
by DNA MODEL MANAGEMENT
Aug 11, 2014
#VogueAustralia devotes 16-pages in its #SeptemberIssue to #DrakeBurnette in a sumptuous new #fw14 spread by #WillDavidson. Burnette was styled in a mix of #Givenchy, ...
by DNA MODEL MANAGEMENT
Aug 11, 2014
A windswept #EmmaChamptaloup models in #fw14's finest earth-toned coats for #VogueNetherlands’s #SeptemberIssue, photographed by #AnnemariekeVanDrimmelen.

Contribute content | Browse all articles